----------------------------------------

SIMPLE PLAITED HEADBAND

Sunday, 24 August 2014

 
With the spontaneous visit to see Francesca who has big love for all things crafty and my recent Gossip Girl phase, the thought of putting together a little DIY headband was a little something I wanted to try again after so long! When it comes to such things, Pinterest is always a great source of inspiration and whilst brewin' with so many creative ideas, I wanted to stick to something small and something I'd actually be happy to wear which, believe me, is rare!   
 
What you'll need:
1. Three different kinds of string, thread, ribbon of your preference, roughly 50cm each
2. Sellotape of any kind
3. Sturdy scissors
4. A glue gun
5. Black thin elastic, roughly 20cm
 
 
Step One: When choosing materials to create a plait, I faced endless options and ended up really loving the combination of these three pieces. I put these side by side and placed sellotape to hold them in place. 
 
Step Two: I temporarily used a bit of tape to attach it against the wall (or something that would make these strings 'dangle' vertically) which made it easier to plait. It's a little tricky to say exactly how much you'll need to plait (I personally measured it till about 37cm) but make sure it's long enough so that it goes 'behind' both ears. Then secure it with a little tape at the end - you'll have excess string but this will be dealt with in the next couple of steps.
 
 
Step Three: This part I found gets a little messy but doesn't matter in the slightest! At one end of the plait, secure the plait in place and remove the sellotape you put on at the start. Use the glue gun on the area of which the sellotape was originally in tact with and let it cool down. You can now cut off any excess string, thread or ribbon - do this for both sides. Should it still feel a little 'messy', don't fret as you continue onto the remaining steps. .   
 
Step Four: Deciding how much elastic you'll need is something you will have to measure yourself, in order to figure out the right level of 'tightness' for you. I personally used 14cm worth of elastic of which includes the length of the overlapping on top of the plaited piece, as you can see above. Using the glue gun again, attach the elastic to the plait piece. With any 'stray' pieces of string, I rolled it up and stuck it down with the glue as you can see, again, in the image - repeat this for the side.   
 
 
Step Five: You'll have remaining ribbon - or you could use any other material which compliments your headband - which is to be used to cover the attachment of the elastic and the plaited piece. Use a little dab of the glue at the 'start' of where you'll be wrapping around the ribbon.
 
Step Six: Wrap it around till it fully covers the attachment of the elastic and the plaited piece. And finally, glue it down with a little more glue at the 'finish' point. Repeat Step Five and Six for the other side of the plait.
 
 
And voila, a little simple DIY in six simple steps! Surprisingly this DIY is a lot sturdier than I expected with the help of my friend's glue gun - alternatively if you don't have one, you could instead sew it down into place which would give you the same results!
 
Putting together a DIY is a rare occurrence for myself but I've enjoyed putting it together and hope you've equally enjoyed reading it too!
 

8 comments:

  1. This headband looks like an amazing DIY, I will have to try it out!
    Lauren - lasidy.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so great and its not too dificult! I'll need to try it :)
    Allison from www.mercuteify.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. simply amazing. Enjoying reading your posts, keep in touch! xx Peach

    http://momomoworld.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, YOU ARE SO TALENTED! THANKS FOR SHARING HUN

    Jennos Health.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute, it seriously looks store bought! Thanks for being so creative and for sharing it with us ;)

    Every Day In Grace

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cute, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your views - if you have any questions, please check back and I'll do my best to reply. You can also contact me, via my Contact page at the top as well.